Providing food and water for birds with my gourd bird feeder in my yard, has become an enjoyable year-round project. You can make your own feeder very easily and the birds love them.
You can raise your own gourds or you can also find them at farmers markets as well as the grocery store. Some craft shops even have them during the fall. I have even bought them on Ebay. They have a great selection and you can get them pretty cheap!
Gourds can range in size from 1"-24" in diameter. They come in different shapes and hue, with most falling in the tanned-leather color range.
Tips For Making A Gourd Bird Feeder
- Hand tools, scroll saws and sharp knives can be used to cut the shell. I usually drill a hole first and then insert the saw blade to cut the gourd..
- A Dremel is great for sanding the edges or even sand paper works well..
- If you intend to use the gourd with food, it's very important to clean and smooth the porous interior using sand paper..
- If you want color, finish the inside and outside of the gourd with stain. I personally like to leave mine with the natural look..
- Clear-coat both interior and exterior surfaces with water-based urethane or food-grade wax..
If you are just using the bottom half of the gourd you need to drill 3 holes evenly spaced around the edge. Put your string or twine through the holes and tie a knot. Bring all three strings up and make a loop and tie off. You have know made your own hanging gourd bird feeder.
You can also use a round gourd and cut the sides out to make a bird feeder like the one pictured above.
Gourd bird feeders are a very nice gift. They are also good sellers at craft shows.
If you make bird feeders and would like to share information please contact me and I will add your idea.
I'd love to hear from you. If you have any questions or arts and craft tips that you would like to share please contact me and I will share them with everyone else.
Would you like to show the world your favorite craft? It's free and easy. Please click here to make your submission.
Blick Art Materials-You can find all kinds of art and craft supplies here that you can't find anywhere else.
Purchase scrapbooking supplies from the Scrapbook.com Superstore!
MisterArt.com Discount Art & Craft Supplies--Up to 75% off! MisterArt.com offers a huge selection of discount art supplies and craft supplies
Create More, Spend Less at www.CreateForLess.com We offer over 60,000 brand name craft, sewing, quilting, scrapbooking, candlemaking supplies and more.
Return to top